Sunday, July 20, 2008

Freezer Jam

Okay so I LOVE some good jam on a loaf of homemade bread. I've made lots of freezer jam and it always seem to be a hit and miss process for me. Sometimes it sets up, but other times it separates no matter what - even when I double the amount of sure-jell. Well, on my trip to Idaho my mom gave me this awesome product called Ultra Gel. It's AMAZING!!! There's no cooking involved at all - plus you don't have to let the jam sit out for 24 hours before freezing it. The jam will thicken within 5 minutes. My mom bought it at her health food store, but the website address is http://www.carnetfoods.com/ Again the product is called Ultra Gel - modified food starch. My mom paid $6.79 for 11.7 oz. This may sound like a lot of money, but you only use a little bit and it can be used in lots of different recipes. I've figured that it's cheaper than sure jell. Anyway, it's wonderful and delicious and without further adieu, I give you :

Never Fail Basic Freezer Jam

3 3/4 cups of fruit puree(any type you want - I just pureed mine in the food processor)
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup Ultra Gel

Combine crushed fruit, sugar and lemon juice. Gradually add Ultra Gel, stirring constantly. Let stand 5-10 minutes and stir until smooth. Add additional Ultra Gel if necessary for desired consistency (I didn't have to add any extra.). Put in plastic or glass containers and freeze immediately.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I need to try out this recipe. I've only ever made freezer jam one time and that's when we lived on the ASU campus and we did it for our Enrichment activity :) It was good though...I'm just lazy about making the stuff.