Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lindsey's Apple Dumplings



Over Christmas we updated our Eagar family cookbook. Needless to say I've been making new recipes all work. This one is very quick and fun too!

2 Granny Smith Apples

2 sticks butter

1 tsp. vanilla

1 can Mountain Dew (I'm sure you could substitute Sprite/7-up if you'd prefer)

2 cans Crescent Rolls (just a sidenote - if you know me I hate Jack-in-the-Box toys because I think they're terrifying - well these stinkin pop cans are in the same category for me. Honestly, I jump and scream every time I open one. I know - I'm weird - at least I can admit it).

1 1/2 cups sugar

Cinnamon

Peel and core apples. Cut apples into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice into a crescent roll. Place in two rows of eight in a 9X13 buttered baking dish. Melt butter in saucepan, then add sugar. BARELY stir! The goal is to leave clumps of sugar. Add vanilla, barely stir. Pour mixture over dumplings in pan. Pour Mountain Dew around edges of pan and down the middles of the two rows. Sprinkle entire dish with cinnamon. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (my stove is gas and I had to bake it 50 minutes) - they were deliciously perfect and had just the amount of crunch on top. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

This recipe is one of those uniquely fun dishes that I think would be really fun to teach of one of my YW cooking camps.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

This recipe sounds yummy! I'll have to try it out...maybe (I'm trying to NOT gain another 10 pounds :)

April said...

that looks really good. Also those biscuit cans scare the heck out of me too.